Welcome to Tuesday 🙂
We started off busy this morning with Come read with me and Reading Groups.
Today Ayrton, Paxton, Kiara, Stefan, Lucas shared a text called Saving the Little Penguins. We predicted from the title that it might be a non fiction text but soon discovered it was in fact a narrative.
Our focus was on finding directly and indirectly stated information in the text.
How do we know that the jumpers are not for a baby?
Why might some penguins need to wear a jumper?
How did Grandma learn about the penguins?
Who is teaching Grandma about the internet?
Why would the penguin story be on the news?
Today we again focused on creating sizzling starts for stories. The idea is too hook the reader in within the first few lines of the book.
Some examples from the children are:
Topic: Getting blamed for something you didn’t do
- My goodness this is so unfair ! Why do I always get the blame?
- Why did my friend blame me ! As if it’s my fault….so unfair.
- Did my mum just shout at me!? I did nothing!!!
- I wish I didn’t get up this morning, now I’m in trouble.
Topic: Playing with a pet
- Why did my dog bite me? I was just trying to play….
- I love my pet dog….whoops !
- OUch ! Why does he always bite me when I’m trying to play?
- I was playing with my pet cat when something terrible happened…
- Come back ! Come back ! oh noooo……
- Now I’m really mad! As if that was my fault….I didn’t do anything to make him scratch me.
We are looking forward to the children using sizzling starts in their stories.
Numeracy: Today we revised the strategies the children can use when calculating change.
We acted out scenarios where they used coins that had a greater value that the cost of the item they were purchasing.
Some of the skills required for this include
- Knowing how many cents in a dollar
- skip counting in 5’s and 10’s
- Counting on a back
- Rounding to the nearest 10
- Coin combination
We would love you to encourage your children to handle money in their after school activities, weekends etc. to assist them with this important life skill.
Relat Assessment: today the year 4’s did a fabulous job completing the RELAT assessment. They did their best and we look forward to receiving the results later in the year.
Class Mass: 4HA and 3MA will celebrate mass on Thursday at 1130. All are welcome.
Spring Fair Update:
We are very keen to hear from parents who may be able to assist us on the day of Spring Fair or with setting up. If you are able to donate an hour of your time we would really appreciated it. Please email your Child’s teacher if you are able to assist.
Casulal Day : This Friday we are asking for donations of good quality second hand books, dvd’s, toys or other items for our second hand stall. A gold coin donation will be accepted in lieu of a good and in exchange for wearing casual clothes.
We will continue to collect donations of small beauty and bathroom goods until the end of term as we create a hamper prize for the fair.
Thank you for your continuing generosity.