What is Love?

In 1 Corinthians 13:4-8, Saint Paul says,“Love is patient, love is kind, love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It rejoices in the truth, bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.

So, I reflected on what best symbolized love and for me. I believe love is where we meet to God. Love takes many forms.

Firstly, for me to know love I need to appreciate the beauty in the world around us. I see it in the enormity of God’s creation, the music that I listen to, the brilliant dramatic performances of actors, the creativity of painters, the intricate storytelling of authors, the artistic elegance of dancers and the laughter of children.

Secondly, I find Love in the Gospels when I read about Jesus. Jesus through the Parables speaks about a God that is merciful and forgiving especially to the poor, the sinners and those at the margins of society. Furthermore, he heals the faithful of their afflictions all they have to do is believe. Thus, Jesus through his words and actions inspires us to imitate his life. We can do this by listening and discerning what God wants for us by reading the bible, praying, appreciating creation, celebrating, loving our neighbour and accepting forgiveness and forgiving in turn.

Finally, I find Love in the people I have encountered in my life.  The relationships I form with my family, friends and work colleagues is where I find God.  It is through their encouragement, support and commitment to the relationship that allow me to be who I want to be and give me hope that my life’s journey will be a fruitful one. Just like God these people are a constant in my life whose Love fortunately for me never ends.