My Mum

In Proverbs 31:10 “A Mother of noble character who is worth far more than rubies.”When I reflect about who my mother is, I think this verse about my mum is very apt. She would always put others before herself both at home and in her workplace. Her behaviour was always beyond reproach never ever getting flustered by any challenges she faced but always patient and tolerant in how she dealt with the issue. Furthermore, was how she was held in such high esteem by her work colleagues who always praised her work ethic as well as positive relationships with all members of staff.

“She provides for her family from her earnings she considers what she buys.” 7 She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. Proverbs 31:16 & 17.My mum always spent on my sisters and I before she spent money on herself. We were fashionably clothed and went to private schools which gave us the best opportunity for our future careers. Her meals were appetising and when she didn’t cook, we were lucky enough to enjoy takeaway. She always amazed me how she could work full time, cook a meal, nurse us when we were sick and get all the housework done. What it showed to me was her great discipline and selflessness as she had very little time to pursue her interests.

She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.Proverbs 31:16 & 17. My mum has a quiet but strong nature, where nothing ever phases her which meant when she speaks, I listen. Her favourite sayings are “a still tongue is a wise ahead” and “don’t walk into situations like a bull at a gate.” They have been two edicts that I have I have tried to live by throughout my life. She introduced me to British comedy and her laughter would echo around the lounge room when she was watching one of her favourite shows. It was so infectious that I would sit down and watch them with her. Occasionally, I reminisce and view the odd episode or two of her favourite series.

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. Proverbs 31:30 The most striking feature about my Mum today is her unwavering faith. She prays and reads her bible everyday with the knowledge that she is loved by God, her family and friends. Always fairly reluctant to talk about herself I love how she is now sharing stories with me about growing up in the South Australian Country town of Jamestown, riding a horse called Jack and playing with a black Kelpie called Nigel. Later on, when she met Dad, she would ride on the back of his motor bike I would have liked to have seen that. I really look forward to reading her memoirs and finding out things that I didn’t know about her before. To me mum will always be a miracle in her lifetime.