Humble Beginnings

Has we head towards Christmas I am reminded of Jesus’ birth in a stable. Luke 2:6-7 “While they were in Bethlehem, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them.” So, we have Jesus the Son of God, being born in a stable not in the inn or somewhere with more plush surroundings. Why, do I think that was the case?

I believe the reason was this immediately gave Jesus more commonality with the majority of people. This is never more evident than the human touch that Jesus shows through his miracles, teachings and fellowship with those at the margins. Jesus doesn ‘t discriminate he offers through his words and supported by his actions opportunities and accessibility for all to enter the Kingdom of God. However, it is up to everyone to accept that invitation.

Additionally, this was demonstrated by Jesus not succumbing to temptation in the desert. When the devil offered Jesus all the kingdoms in the world in return for bowing down and worshipping him, Jesus replied, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.”       Matthew 4:8-10. Hence, Jesus’ motivation was not materialism but to store riches in the hearts of people and engage them in seeking life. I reflect now on how many times do I seek selfish short-term positive outcomes instead of pursuing long term goals that will benefit others.

Furthermore, Jesus was never about exerting power over others, instead his leadership displayed humility. Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, “Are you the king of the Jews?”John 18:33

Jesus replied, “My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place. John :18-36.      So, for Jesus it is was never about being a king and ruling over his subjects but using his power to evangelise others and ultimately, lose his life so every person can receive eternal life. In other words, Jesus showed us how being a servant can empower others to live a life that embraces the Kingdom of God on earth. Consequently, Jesus showed us it is about exhibiting qualities of humility, compassion and generosity via helping others and being ecological advocates that enables us to witness God’s presence on Earth. Thus, imparting the reason why  God sent Jesus, who challenges us to continue his mission and proclaim the Kingdom of God.