Thursday (Term 1: Week 2)

Good morning and welcome to Thursday.  Another lovely sunny summer’s day ahead.

CLASSROOM ASSISTANTS
Today’s superheroes, who lend a helping hand to the class and their teachers were:

COME READ WITH ME
Thanks for reminding your child to pop their reader/library bag into their school bag each day.  We aim to read everyday at school and one of our times is called Come Read With Me.

SPORT (with Mrs Cooymans)

The children participated in a series of throwing, aiming and  catching activities in the Hall this morning.  It looked like great fun!

PLAY INVESTIGATIONS

Before we started to play, we asked the children to think about our focus character strength of kindness – being generous to others and never being too busy to help out, enjoying doing good deeds for other – and tell us how they used this character strength in their play today.

PLAY INVESTIGATIONS: REFLECTION

Braiden:  I let people play with my  beyblades.

Tri: I played with my beyblades with my friend, Kevin. I share with my friend.

Riaan: I played with Tri and Kevin. I was kind to them. When Kevin told me to get the piece, I gave it to him. It’s kind.

Ebony: We were playing restaurants and I had an idea and we had visitors over. And I let one of my best friends borrow the camera. I also made a new friend today – Kyle.

Aleer: I shared my beyblades with Ambrose.

Eerat: I played with Sahana. We were happy.

Aisha: I loved playing the home corner. We played shops and family.

Sahana: I played with Nicole and we both played families together. I used kindness when I acted like it was her birthday. And then was kind to me when

Isabella and Ariana: I did a drawing with Ariana of a unicorn. We were sharing pens and drawing together.

MINDFULNESS

HEALTH

In our final lesson of the day we shared the story ‘Have you filled a bucket today?’ by Carol McCloud.

This heartwarming book encourages positive behaviour by using the concept of an invisible bucket to show children how easy and rewarding it is to express kindness, appreciation, and love by “filling buckets.”

If you would like to watch the story in order to discuss it with your child, it can be viewed here:

The children thought about the ways in which they can fill each other’s buckets or the buckets of their friends and families. They recorded these using pictures and/or words in their Learning Journals.

R1MP

R1JH

RELIGION: NAMES

Thank you for continuing to share with us the reasons for choosing your child’s name. We have really enjoyed sharing these with the class, and the children have listened very attentively to the stories surrounding each other’s names.

EBONY: My mum and dad had a friend called Ebony, so they named me after their friend – a beautiful name for a beautiful baby,

ABHAY: The two parts of Abhay’s name have been drawn from the following words. Abhay means ‘fearless’ in Hindi. Singh is a common surname in India meaning ‘a true man who lives in God’s will – be kind and good to others’.

HARJAS: Harjas’ name came from a combination of his parents names. His father is called HARminder and his mother is called JASpal. Together his name is Harjas.

BRAIDEN: Got his name when I was watching American Ninja Warrior and it was the name of one of the contestants, which I really liked.

VONN: Mum and Dad wanted my name to start with the letter V so they chose the name Vonn because it sounded strong.  Then they picked the middle name ‘Snow’ because Vonn Snow sounded nice.

RIVA: The name Riva is derived from the Sanskrit word ‘Reva’ meaning ‘Holy River’. We thought that this name would be perfect for our daughter as we can see that our daughter Riva is going to become a great human being just like the great river.

YASHA: Yasha meaning ‘forest spirit’ and Carys meaning ‘loved’.

RIAAN: The astrologer chose the first letter of the name then we decided Riaan because it means ‘Little King’ and his dad’s means ‘King’.

LOWELL: My grandpa and grandma’s names started with L and mu mum’s name starts with L. All my cousins’ names start with L. So my sister and my name start with L. Now all our family’s names start with L.

See you all tomorrow!