Wednesday (Term 1 | Week 9)

Welcome to Wednesday of Week 9. Here’s our learning for today:

LIBRARY

Today’s shared text was ‘Love from Alfie McPoonst, The Best Dog Ever’ by Dawn McNiff.

When Alfie the dog dies, he sends his owner Izzy letters in the post from his new address: The Nicest Cloud, Dog Heaven, The Sky. He wants her to know that he misses her – so much! – but his new home in heaven is brilliant. There are postmen to chase, angels to tickle his tummy, and he never even has to take a bath!  Can his letters comfort Izzy, who is is feeling lost without him? Sensitively balancing humour and raw emotional truth, this is a beautifully observed tale sure to reassure children experiencing loss and grief for the very first time.

Ebony shared the story of her dog, Ruby, who passed away last year. She said she hoped that Ruby was in Doggy Heaven like Alfie because “it’s a cool place for dogs.”

Braiden: I like going to the library so I can borrow the Mr Men and Little Miss books.

Dylan: I like the library because the books make me smart, make me read better and make me happy.

Athian: I like going to the library because I like to read with my friends and read some books.

Shruti: I like going to the library because I like reading.  I like sticker books.

Nicole: I like the books in the library because they are beautiful and colourful.

Victoria: I like going to the library because I like reading to Mrs P and reading to myself.

Sahana: I like going to the library because it is calm over there and I get to borrow books.

Isla: I get to borrow books in the library and I like Thelma the Unicorn, it’s my favourite.

Mrs Papillo: I love taking the class to the Library because I love reading and sharing books with my class.  I also enjoy listening to the amazing readers in my class.  Books are the best!!

LETTERS AND SOUNDS

Today we focused on the letter o, another of the five vowel sounds. Today our focus was on the short /o/ sound as in box, fox, sock and clock.

We shared a story featuring words with the short /o/ sound. It was called ‘Orange Juice’.

We learned how to write the letter. We start at the top and go ‘all the way around the orange’.

We used ‘robot talk’ (sound talk) to say the following words, saying each sound as the orange pip was touched. Then we blended the sounds together to read the word.

We also revised some previous sounds using blending to read the whole word.

Then we sang a song about the sound to the tune of ‘Five Little Speckled Frogs’. Here are the words:

Practice reading and learning the words to the song. Then listen to the tune by clicking on the ‘play. button below. Finally see if you can sing along to the tune. Enjoy!

We then practised writing the letter whilst making the short o sound. After this we investigated ‘opposites’, matching pictures of opposites that were muddled up. At home, you could write and illustrate some opposites such as day/night, slow/fast, etc.

NUMERACY

Today we investigated number sequences.  Our warm-up involved looking at a few different number lines and we discovered:

Ebony and Isla:  We looked at the number lines and counted the numbers up to the end.

Shruti:  I am the number 5 and my sister Shruti is the number 11.

Arnav:  My number line goes up to 50.  The numbers get smaller as you count backwards.

Braiden:  The numbers get bigger as you count forwards and my number line goes up to 30.

Then, the students had a choice of activities to investigate, including making a number line, continuing number sequences and joining dot to dot numbers in order to create a picture.

The children worked as  a team for the next activity; they picked number cards from the floor and then placed themselves in order from 1-20.  They counted up to 20 and backwards from 20.

DINING HALL LUNCH

For our Dining Hall lunch today we ate delicious pizza and for dessert we ate chocolate pudding and ice cream.  Yum, yum!  We ate as a small group today but it was still enjoyable.

LITERACY: WRITER’S WORKSHOP

Some of the students worked with their teacher this afternoon to complete their Writer’s Workshop books.

Mikayla, Anthony, Scarlett and Isabella finished their books. Scarlett and Isabella had a little help with the final illustrations so they could finish their books today, as they will not be in school tomorrow. Their stories are so awesome, Mrs Handforth wanted to post the whole book for each child … enjoy!

Chicken Babies by Mikayla Hu

Dog Babies by Anthony Nguyen

Unicorn Babies by Isabella Stewart

Cat Babies by Scarlett Dinh