Bearing Fruit

This weeks gospel is from Luke 13: 1-9

“A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none.

“Then he said to the keeper of his vineyard, ‘Look, for three years I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree and find none. Cut it down; why does it use up the ground?’

“But he answered and said to him, ‘Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and fertilize it.

‘And if it bears fruit, well. But if not, after that you can cut it down.’

The two major points that I would like to raise about this parable are the expectations that the owner of the vineyard had on the fig tree and the patience of keeper of the vineyard to give my time for the tree to bear fruit.

The scripture challenges us not to be quick to destroy something that we hoped would be of benefit to us despite not fulfilling our expectations. Too often we place expectations on others that we would not liked placed on ourselves. Thus we need to be like the keeper of the vineyard not to hastily judge or act but to display patience that will eventually reward us. Hence by giving people or events the time and support they require we are providing them with the opportunity to succeed.