Calming the Storm

On the weekend my AFL football team, Saint Kilda lost a game from a seemingly winning position. After the game there was the usual recriminations for the club, coach and players. The question I ask who ultimately is responsible for the defeat?

I think a little perspective is needed here. It is one loss amongst other losses that have happened over this season. I would argue that in today’s world where performances are forensically analysed by the mainstream media and fans forums on social media the responsibility is divided where the blame lies. I believe you have to understand what were the actions that caused St Kilda’s demise.

I consider the Scriptural context through the Jesus calming the storm best mirrors the defeat St Kilda suffered. In Mark 4: 37-38 the disciples are in a boat with Jesus. Suddenly, the boat is under attack from a storm.  The disciples, wake up Jesus who is asleep saying to him, ‘Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?’  Hence, the disciples are shifting the onus of accountability from them to do something about the storm to Jesus. Consequently, in the case of the disciples it is not about liability but responsibility. There is no reason to point fingers or make accusations that exude negativity and is the road to nowhere but embrace the challenge. Additionally, the reaction to panic means no logical action is going to take place it is only going to inflame the situation. I liked how Jesus asked the hard questions of the disciples, as he calmed the sea, ‘why are you afraid have you still no faith?’ Mark 4:40 I would argue that if the emphasis is on Jesus to solve the problem, then what happens if another problem arises and Jesus is not around?

All problems and issues can not just be attributable to one person or one factor either instigating them or providing a positive outcome. Everyone involved in the situation must also be part of the solution, reliance on a few is not sustainable. For the disciples it is believing they have the necessary gifts from God to create favourable conclusions. While for St Kilda it is everyone taking ownership of the issues and placing their trust in their team mates and coach to produce successful results.

Furthermore, both the disciples and the St Kilda players should be appreciative of the opportunities they have been given. The disciples continuing Christ’s mission and the St Kilda team to play AFL football. Moreover, they need to acknowledge their followers and fanbase by leaving a legacy that ensures the future of the Church and the football club for generations to come. I am a great believer that everything happens for a reason it is learnings that motivates change and a willingness to overcome adversity that builds dynasties.