Noticing the Important Things

My Priest at Mass on the weekend gave a homily about a social experiment where a world-famous violinist dressed up with a baseball cap on his head and busked in a metro station in Washington playing the first movement of Bach. Of the 1097 people that passed by only 27 gave money and stopped and listened for any length of time. This got be thinking how often do I make time to reflect and notice all the things happening around me and instead just taking it in?

My feeling is how do I become a more interactive, visible presence with the people and world around me? I wonder would I have noticed the violin player or been totally oblivious due to being caught up in my own life.  I think Jesus put it very succinctly in Luke 10:38-42 when he visited Martha and Mary. When he came, Mary was listening to Jesus while Martha was preparing in the kitchen. Martha complained to Jesus about Mary not helping her prepare and cook the food. Jesus replied, Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

I believe Jesus is telling us we need to evaluate what is the most important thing at that time. For Martha in that instance, it was not preparing food in the kitchen but listening to Jesus. I then reflect on how I let the busyness in life distract me from engaging in prayer and building my relationship with God. Would I take the option of using busyness as an excuse or follow Jesus’s example, of making time before an important occasion, a difficult challenge or some time during the day to pray to God? Furthermore, I understand I need to reflect on my day and determine what changes I can make to improve my relationships.

Consequently, I consider one of the things that is really vital more than ever in today’s society is to check in with others, listen to their dialogue and observe their body language as it is a great indication of their well-being.  But if we don’t give time for pray and exchanges with others, we really don’t notice the important things going on in others lives as well as own. Hence, preventing us from making a difference and enriching our life and other people’s lives.