Being on Trial

I have often thought during Jesus’s trial before the High Priest and later Pilate why Jesus did not try to defend himself.

The High Priest said, “What is it that they testify against you? But Jesus was silent.” Matthew 26:62-63

Then Pilate said to him, “Do you not hear how many accusations they make against you?” But he gave him no answer, not even to a single charge, so the Governor was greatly amazed.

So why stay silent and not defend yourself? I know if I were accused of something that I didn’t do I would fight to clear my name. So why didn’t Jesus? Did he know that his death was part of God’s plan? Or did he think that there was no point in arguing because the High Priest and Pilate had already decided his future?

It makes me think what would I do in Jesus’ position even if the evidence against me is overwhelming and the witnesses are hostile? I could argue but I know my words won’t be listened to. I could accept my consequences but I know it won’t sit with me comfortably. So what I do is suffer the consequences and live to fight for another day. Most importantly I learn from the experience and build on that for the next time.

Unfortunately, for Jesus there wasn’t a next time as he was crucified on a cross. Fortuitously three days later he rose from the dead and his mission that he challenged his disciples to continue was taken up and lives on in Christian Churches today. What an incredible legacy to die for your beliefs that are now respected by millions of people throughout the world. Furthermore the crucifixion is a message of hope as for all us from pain and suffering you have to believe there will always be a resurrection.