The Year of Mercy

P1220619

In the Year of Mercy, the Pope Francis is challenging us to act with kindness and generosity towards other people and our environment and that everyone has the power to undertake this goal.

I believe there are three components to mercy.  I will illustrate these components through a story. Now it was my wife and my Thirtieth Anniversary and just when I was about to make plans, my daughter had arranged for us a meal one night and a stay in a Barossa Valley Hotel the next night. Although not really complementing my plans I was happy to go with the flow rather than create possible tensions.

On the night of our anniversary my daughter tells me as I get into the car that my

in-laws will also be joining us for the dinner and we would have to go. My wife and I walked along the driveway. As we turned the corner, we saw one hundred family and friends staring at me and my wife, wishing us a happy anniversary.

When I relayed that story a few days later to a friend of mine, who taught my daughter, he said that act came from the heart. Hence the first component of Mercy is that a kind act comes from the heart.

Additionally, my wife told me later that when her dad saw us he had tears in his eyes. I reflected that the reason why he was filled with emotion was because he was with family who had travelled from different parts of Australia to celebrate with us.

Thus, I believe the second component of Mercy is that it touches others who in turn are inspired to perform a kind act.

Finally, the third component of Mercy I believe is that you need to have courage. My daughter had a logistical nightmare in organising the venue, catering and inviting the guests from all around Australia. However, when people declined her invitation or placed organisational obstacles in her way she overcame the challenges and kept focussed on making the celebration successful.

So I believe that Mercy demonstrated by an act of Kindness comes from the heart, is inspirational and courageous perfect for continuing Christ’s mission.