Cause of Division

In Luke 12: 51 Jesus asks a very interesting question. “Do you think that I have come to bring peace on earth? No I tell you, but rather division.”

For me why would Jesus say he has come to bring division?

I often think people like to hear someone expressing an opinion they agree with however when it is contrary to their beliefs it creates conflict. Jesus challenged the authority of the leader of the synagogue. Their laws and teachings he questioned, did they truly reflect proclaiming God’s Kingdom? Sometimes I wonder if I too get caught up in enforcing the laws without allowing a broader interpretation of the rules that is inclusive of everyone.

Furthermore, do we seek to meet with as many like-minded people because it gives us a stronger voice? A voice due to it’s numbers is listened to more than a lone voice delivering a polarising opinion. Thus a decision has to be made do we state what we truly believe in or hide behind the view of the masses? A dilemma if you don’t agree with masses but maybe fear of reprisals for declaring an opposing perspective.

Likewise, do we pursue other people’s outlooks until we find someone that tells us what we want to hear. Is it because people’s words are conflicting and we want reassurance for our actions. I would rather have the courage of my own convictions and communicating what I truly believe.

Ultimately, we are called to never compromise ourselves but imitate Jesus who never lived in fear of repercussions for his words and actions but inspired communities to build a better world for everyone.

2 thoughts on “Cause of Division

1. I enjoyed reading this very well written reflection. Jesus acted with integrity, love and compassion – his actions reflected his words. Being true to oneself, one’s values and beliefs, even in the face of pressure to do otherwise, is to live an authentic life.