Walking on Water

In Matthew 14:26-30,

The disciples saw Jesus walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear. But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”

Taking the first step is always difficult to do particularly if the governing emotion is fear. We often defer to our comfort zone or we can revert to a state of denial.  So why do we act in this way?

I think we have a fear of the unknown when we can’t explain what is occurring. Consequently, we try to predict possible outcomes. For me it is usually the worst case scenarios because I can’t influence the outcome. Therefore, if I am not in control I have to let go. Hence, my faith needs to kick in.

The next stage is taking a leap of faith and getting out of the boat and walking on the water toward Jesus. When Peter saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” I liken Peter’s experience to being on a rollercoaster ride and then suddenly wishing I wasn’t there because the experience I was having was not quite what I envisaged. Therefore, the rollercoaster ride was not what I thought it would be although I am much wiser for the experience.  Hence, we learn from our experiences especially those that involved risk taking. On reflection, I am still glad I went on the rollercoaster as I am sure Peter is that he tried to walk on water.

The final stage is trust in the support of your family and friends. Jesus said, “You of little faith why did you doubt.” I would argue it is not only a matter of doubting my own abilities but doubting my own faith in God to reveal that he has an active role in my life. When faced with difficulties or challenging situations it is then you rely on your family and friends to keep you thinking positively that you can overcome any situation. The question is when your options run out can you put your trust in God? I believe it is then that you can truly walk on water.