What is the Truth?

In this weeks Gospel, John 18:33-37, Pilate asks Jesus, “what is the truth?”

He asks the question in response to Jesus’s statement, “that everyone on the side of truth listens to me.” (John18: 37) I believe we need to explore what is this truth that Jesus speaks about and why should we listen?

In the aftermath of the recent events in France I am drawn to find the solution in the words of Jesus. I consider it to be a mantra for not only how we are called to live our lives but to inspire others to do so as well. Hence what mantra/truth must we all listen to? Furthermore what are the words and actions that underpin a peaceful way forward?

Jesus implores those who are listening in Luke 6:27-28 to ‘Love our enemies, do good to those who hate us, bless those who curse us and pray for those who mistreat us.” In reflection that is contrary to how I feel when I am slighted in this way. However if I am to be true to my faith I know the solution is to support this teaching despite the challenges it presents to my relationships and life. It starts with me having a positive mindset and finding hope in every situation.

Maybe if everyone were listening to those words of Jesus then they would find that  truth and our  world would be a better place.