Being Aware

In Matthew 4:1-11 the temptation of Jesus in the wilderness the devil tries to tempt Jesus three times. Jesus rebukes him I believe because of his awareness in fulfilling his own mission and doing the will of his Father. In other words, he had his eyes on the prize.

Firstly, the devil preys on his Jesus’ hunger, “If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread.”
To which Jesus replies, “One does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.” (Matthew 4:3-4)
Jesus was aware that the devil was trying to tempt him to satisfy his wants rather than his needs. Thus, refusing to what was going to give him pleasure and preferring to pursue carrying out his Father’s will. I believe I should be content if I have what I need instead of seeking the pleasures in life.

Secondly, the devil continues his temptation of Jesus by taking him to the pinnacle of the Temple and asking him to throw himself down saying God’s angels will save him.
Jesus aware of the devil’s deception remarks ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.” (Matthew 4:7) Hence, the devil is asking Jesus to test God’s power however I believe we do not test God’s power but request it to bring positive consequences. Furthermore, this may empower others to create opportunities for others to be successful.
Finally, the devil attempts again to deceive Jesus by taking him to a high mountain and offering him all the Kingdoms of the World. But Jesus expresses his annoyance with, ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve only him.” (Matthew 4:10) I would argue Jesus didn’t need the prestige of being materially wealthy his influence on others came through his words and actions which have been inspiring people all across the world for 2020 years. Thus, I need to be aware of Jesus’ influence by living according to his Gospel values rather than the influencers that abound across the globe in the mass media.