Making Sense of the Parables Part 3

So, what is my motivation to continue Christ’s mission? I consider it is best encapsulated in the Parable of the Labourers in the Vineyard. Matthew 25:1-16 A Landowner went out early to hire labourers to work in his vineyard for an agreed daily wage. The Landowner continued to go out and hire workers at nine, noon, three and five. Now when it came to pay the worker’s wages, they all received the same daily wage no matter the hours they toiled. However, the workers who commenced earlier grumbled to the Landowner. The Landowner replied, “Friend, I am doing you no wrong; did you not agree with me for the usual daily wage? Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or are you envious  

Matthew 25:13-16

How does this Parable translate to my own life? I reflect on Pope Francis’s words that the Vineyard is the Kingdom of God and God is the Landowner who wants everyone to work for his Kingdom where everyone receives the same reward salvation; eternal life. This is what sustains my life’s meaning and purpose and drives how I witness my personal faith, build my relationships and persist in my labours with my family, friends, Parish and the Holy Family Community. I know when I face challenges I can get caught up in deferring to selfishness, envious of other peoples lives who I perceive as being more successful and taking my eyes off the prize. Nevertheless, it is the promise of salvation and the justice and equality of the Kingdom of Heaven that gives me the necessary perspective of God being a constant presence in my life. This is what inspires and gives me hope when I wake up every day to be the Sower spreading seed, through using my talents and acting without judgement and with equality to bring the Kingdom of Heaven to everyone I encounter.